Who: The Costume Society of America (CSA)
Where: Portland, Maine, USA
When: May 31 – June 4, 2017
Submission Guidelines: Proposals are due October 14, 2016. Submitters must be members of the CSA or join at the time of submission. Submit abstracts of 500 words or less, including endnotes and/or selective bibliography. For panel presentations each panelist must submit an abstract of 500 words or less. See full submission guidelines here.
CSA invites submissions of original research in history of dress that may include the following topics related to the symposium theme, but are not limited to,
- Past, present, and future technology in creating dress and textiles including wearable technology
- Ethics and social responsibility in technology and design
- Technology as a tool in institutions to interpret and communicate
- Advances in accessibility to collections and primary sources
- Technology advances in conservation, collections care, and preservation
- Fast fashions effect on production, design, industry and consumer attitudes
- Dress as communication in or by diverse groups
- Global dissemination of cultural dress
- Breaking down stereotypes in dress
The conference invites theater and fashion designers, academics, scholars, dress historians, industry professionals, curators, conservators, reenactors, students, emerging professionals, museum professionals, social anthropologists, and inter-disciplinarians, to submit abstracts that offer a range of perspectives and topics related to costume and fashion studies.