BIAS Journal of Dress Practice is a yearly publication edited by The Dress Practice Collective, a student-run organization at Parsons the New School for Design. The DPC aims to join elements of visual culture, fashion theory, design studies, and personal practice through academic and creative inquiry across various media. DPC is seeking academic and journalistic writing, interviews, non-fiction narratives, artwork, photography, and projects for the fourth issue of BIAS to be published in Spring 2016. Submissions are open to students, recent graduates and practitioners.
Please send submissions by January 22nd, 2016 via e-mail to DressPracticeCollective@newschool.edu
Notice of acceptance/request for revisions: Beginning of February 2016
For any questions, please contact DressPracticeCollective@newschool.edu
CFP BIAS Issue 4: Fashion + Violence
The issue seeks to explore violence as concept, term, action, practice, and theory within all facets of contemporaneous and historical fashion and dress. The following are guiding questions to use as a starting point in consideration of the topic:
- What is fashion’s relationship to violence? How does violence function within fashion?
- Does violence change within a fashion context? How?
- How does violence spur change? Is violence always negative?
- In what ways does fashion enable, mask, conceal, or combat violence?
- Who is fashion’s violence directed towards? The wearer? Laborer? Onlooker?