The inaugural issue of Fashion Research Now reflects the aims of the Fashion Research Network: presenting critical, innovative and interdisciplinary research on fashion and dress. It will provide a space for early career researchers and PhD students to publish current and innovative research. Submissions are welcomed from both written and practice-based researchers and can take the form of text or image.
The first publication theme is fashion and archives; we encourage the broadest definition of archives and the archival, including personal collections, physical institutions, digital databases or oral histories.
You may wish to consider the following questions:
- How has your experience of using archives shaped your research question and methodology?
- How has your research or practice experience changed your definition of an archive?
- How have atypical or inaccessible archives influenced your practice?
- To what extent has technological developments in archival processes (i.e. digital archives) changed your research or practice output?
- What role has chance played in your archival experience?
- How have the emotional and sensory aspects of the archive experience influenced your work?
- How do you archive your own research or practice?
Submission Criteria Eligibility:
- Fashion Research Now publishes the work of current MPhil/PhD Candidates and Early Careers Researchers (i.e., within 6 years of receiving your doctorate)
- Submissions should not have been previously published either in physical or digital form.
- Authors are responsible for securing full copyright permission for all images pertaining to their submission.
How to Submit:
Word Length: Text-based essays should be a maximum of 5000 words. Footnotes are permitted, but should be kept to a minimum. A full bibliography must also be included.
Please send full papers in Microsoft Word or a PDF of images and text to email@example.com by Friday 7th November 2014.
Please see the website for more information.
All submissions will be peer-reviewed and the editorial committee will notify all candidates of its decision by January 2015.