From the Street to the Catwalk, Cultural Influences on Contemporary Fashion
October 10-12, 2014
The Western Region Symposium offers an opportunity for established members and potential New members to present Oral Research Papers or Research-in Progress Reports on unpublished research, new creations and/or practical experience. We welcome proposals from
- CSA Members and CSA Student Members
- Film, Television & Theatre Historians & Designers
- Historians of Performance Costume, Fashion, Textiles and Dance
- Collectors of Costume and Clothing & Film Enthusiasts
- Cultural Anthropologists
- Counter or Subculture Scholars
- Queer Fashion Study Scholars
- Designers of Fashion, Theatrical, Film Costumes.
**Student Honor Award**
At the time of application students must be currently enrolled and CSA members. The Award includes waiving of Conference fees, 2 nights accommodations, and airfare. Co- authors must both be students and they may split the award. Only Oral Research papers are eligible.
Possible Topics Include:
- Subculture fashion, such as Goth, Mod, Punk, or Queer, and it’s influence on High Fashion
- Contributions to fashion from queer or transgender designers
- The importance of youth subcultures on fashion
- The influence of social media on fashion
- Mainstreaming of Fetish Fashion
- Subcultural influences on fashion in a historical context
- Cross-cultural/Global influences on fashion
Presentations will be either: 1) Oral Papers–appropriate for the presentation of new research findings, case studies and conclusions. Limited to 20 minutes for a presentation; or 2) Research in Progress Reports–appropriate for the presentation of ongoing research toelicit feedback from registrants for additional research sources and/or comments on methodology. Limited to 10 minutes for presentation.
Please send your proposal abstracts to email@example.com with CSA: WR Symposium Abstract in the subject line. Submissions are only accepted via email to help keep us green. The body of your email must include:
- Telephone Number
- Institutional Affiliation (if any)
- Students should indicate if they would like to be considered for the Student Honor Award.
- Brief (<100 words) Autobiography
- Abstract Type (Research Paper or Research-in-Progress)
- Abstract Title
Abstract: Do not include any identification information on the abstract itself.
- Format: doc or rtf
- Text Length: ORAL PAPERS <= 500 words RESEARCH IN PROGRESS <= 300 words Text Font: Times New Roman 12 (inclusive of footnotes/endnotes & bibliography)
- Language: English
- Interspacing: 2 Text, 1 Endnotes/Footnotes & Bibliography
- Identification: Type of Abstract (Research Paper or Research-in-Progress) centered at top of first page with title of abstract in bold font beneath it
- Style: Chicago Manual of Style, AP Style Book, MLA Style Manual, Oxford Writers Dictionary or Hart’s Rules
Deadlines: Your proposal abstract and email must be received by June 13, 2014
Candidates will be informed of their status by August 15, 2014 Your acceptance is required in writing by August 29, 2011
Please direct questions to Abra Flores, Symposium Chair firstname.lastname@example.org