CFP: “Interpreting History Through Costume”
Costume Society of America: Western Region 2012 Symposium
“Interpreting History through Costume”
March 17-18, 2012 at The William S. Hart Ranch & Museum in Santa Clarita, CA
Deadlines: Your proposal abstract and email must be received by October 15, 2011
Call for Papers
The Western Region Symposium offers an opportunity for established Members and potential New Members to present Oral Research Papers or Research-in Progress, reports on unpublished research, new creations and/or practical experience.
Possible Topics Include: Designing costume for period theatrical or dance performances, films or television shows; Comparisons between recreated garments, or garments designed for performance, with actual historic garments; The importance of costume in the understanding of social, political & world history; How costumed docents enhance the understanding of museum collections & the visitor experience; Use of costume in non-costume exhibitions: an opportunity to provide context; Pursuit of the past: the impulse to collect historic dress; Using dress to create an historic character or personage for reenactment.
Proposals are welcome from:
• CSA Members
• General & California Historians
• Costume & Textile Historians
• Film, Television & Theatre Historians & Designers
• Art Historians & Artists
• Museum & Archives Professionals
• Re-Enactors & Re-enactment groups
• Costume & Clothing Collectors
• Film Enthusiasts & Collectors
• Historical Musicians & Musical groups
Two types of Presentations are invited:
1. Oral Papers are appropriate for the presentation of new research findings, case studies and conclusions. Limited to 20 minutes for a presentation. All visuals must be in PowerPoint format.
2. Research in Progress Reports are appropriate for the presentation of ongoing research to elicit feedback from registrants for additional research sources and/or comments on methodology. Limited to 10 minutes for presentation. All visuals must be in PowerPoint format.
Please send your proposal abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org with CSA: WR Symposium Abstract in the subject line. Submissions are only accepted via email to help keep us green.
Download the full call for papers and submission instructions here.