Costume Society of America-Are you going?

pen-and-paper1

I just submitted my revised abstract to present some of my dissertation work with my advisor Marilyn DeLong at the Costume Society of America this coming May in Kansas City. So now I’m curious, which Worn Through readers will be there?

I’d love to hear from you to know whether you’re attending and if you will be presenting your work.

Speak up in the comments

• Heather January 15, 2010 04.10 pm

Haven’t decided yet – I think it depends on the schedule and the cost. I won’t be presenting anything but as a board member of the Western Region of CSA, it might be important for me to attend. It also depends on where I am in my book project (that is, how far I’ve gotten). Will be curious to see what others are planning.

• Kat January 15, 2010 07.07 pm

I’ve decided to go based on the fact that I should up my networking skills, and see what the conference is like. I’m hoping the cost isn’t too bad for students. I’m doing a research exhibit, and any tips on what to expect would be awesome! I know they are different from paper presentations so I’d like to be readily prepared as much as possible.

• Kimberly January 16, 2010 01.29 pm

Yes–I’m presenting. Unless my institutional funding falls through, which is always a scary possibility….

• Rachel January 16, 2010 02.53 pm

Kat,

At CSA conferences I’ve attended, the most successful research exhibits are those that feature compelling images or samples to handle. Given the format, kind of like a booth, it’s hard to read a lot of dense text. Also, you do have a lot of opportunities to interact with those interested in your work, possibly even more than if you were presenting in front of a large audience.

I won’t be attending this year, but hope to be there next year! There is some overlap with the AAM conference this year, which makes it a bit tricky.

• Katy January 17, 2010 02.29 am

I’ll be there! I’m presenting my research exhibit which I’m very excited about.

• Kat January 17, 2010 11.49 am

I hope to meet all of you guys!!! Thanks for the tips Rachel, that makes things a lot easier 🙂

• Monica January 17, 2010 08.13 pm

So what is everyone presenting? I’m doing a part of my dissertation about “punk dress in the workplace.” Perhaps if there are enough readers going we’ll get together for lunch or coffee to all meet.

• Petra January 18, 2010 08.48 am

HI Monica,

I am going & organizing the new members’ dinner. (Details to follow) Commentators: Are there any new members responding here?

In addition, it would be very interesting to sit down with you and discuss your research, if you organize such a thing, please keep me in mind.

Thanks!
    See you in St. Louie.
    Petra

• Kat January 19, 2010 02.56 pm

Petra,

I’m a new member, but I am not sure if I will be able to attend the full symposium. I hope we can meet up during the conference; please stop by my research exhibit if you can!

• Katy January 20, 2010 09.10 pm

I don’t know if I count as a new member or not, since I’ve been a member for a little over a year now. But this is my very first national symposium.

I’d love to get together with some people for lunch, I’ll only know two people that will be there so it will be nice to make some new friends. I’m presenting my research which I got funding for last summer from the Office of Undergraduate Research at my school. It’s about how modern trends work their way into period movie costumes (I studied movies set in the 18th century in particular) and why that happens.

• Suzanne January 21, 2010 12.23 pm

I’ll be attending. This is my second year of membership but my first Annual Symposium. I’m not quite ready to present, yet. 🙂 Look for me running errands for the organizers….

• Monica Sklar January 21, 2010 06.18 pm

Petra, Katy, Kat, and anyone else-I’d be happy to get together for lunch or coffee. I don’t think I’ll be attending any group dinners though this time as my husband is coming with so we’ll probably go out each night. I’m not a new member-been in since ’02 ( maybe ’01?) so I wouldn’t couldn’t for the newbies dinner anyhow. I’d recommend it though. I always enjoy those types of events.

• Worn Through » Costume Society in May- You Going?
    April 30, 2010 - 3:46 pm