Highlights from @FashionHistoria

As I’ve previously mentioned , I have been tweeting (@FashionHistoria) about various fashion history related subjects. However, 140 characters doesn’t give you a lot of room for discussion. So I thought I’d highlight some of my recent tweets:

A glorious example of hardcopy media is this visually stunning fashion editorial from the November 2009 issue of Dazed & Confused, reposted on the blog, Haute Macabre (perfect inspiration for this spooky time of year). I tweeted about and posted this editorial to Facebook as “historical reference much? http://bit.ly/1yq4Zc.” The similarity to old masters, such as Vermmer, Rembrandt, Velazquez and Van Dyck, in these ethereal portraits as well as the attention to details are impressive.

I recently came across this resource for collection managers in costume & textile departments from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston by Karen Gausch and Joel Thompson, “Storage Mounts for Costume Accessories.” It is a detailed report of the work done on the museums collection, as funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services. Each section is heavy with photography, illustrations and detailed documentation. I urge you to check it out for yourself. It includes discussion (and photographs) of their work on:

• Hats and headwear
  • Fans and hand screens
  • Combs and hair ornaments
  • Handbags
  • Gloves and wristlets
  • Hand muffs and warmers
  • Shoes and footwear
  • Parasols
  • Corsets and shaping structures

• A third note, were the lovely amateur photographs of “Fastes de Cour,” an exhibit of court dress from Versailles taken in June of this year (courtesy of 18thCenturyBlog). The Flickr set is available here: http://bit.ly/497xZq. For additional information on this exhibition with some more amazing photographs, check out the Chanel Fashion news ticker with Karl.

( Russian court dress 1788-1819)

And finally, there is this story on a selection of old stock New York City Opera costumes used by an artist (E.V. Day) in a new way – as featured in the New York Times. View the full slideshow here. I have a mixed reaction to this art installation, clearly it is beautiful to look at, but what of the historical value of the original pieces?

A final note, and a preview of things to come I’m sure is that, The Costume Society of America has also just opened a twitter account, watch for more information on that.

Love to see your comments below!

• Petra October 28, 2009 08.45 am

What collection is the image of the stored corsets taken from?
      Thanks

• Heather Vaughan October 28, 2009 11.32 am

As I mentioned in the post, they are a part of the report by Karen Gausch and Joel Thompson “Storage Mounts for Costume Accessories” on their project from Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Details here: http://tickets.mfa.org/master/sub.asp?key=43&subkey=513

• Kendra October 28, 2009 04.12 pm

Wow, tons of fabulous links! Those fashion photos are really great — I love that they did a gable hood. The image with the woman holding the skull is really striking — any guesses which artist/painting they’re referencing there?

And the Costume Institute videos look very interesting, will save them for when I have time.

• Heather Vaughan October 28, 2009 08.23 pm

Hi Kendra,

Thanks for the comments – I’d love to hunt down the exact references, but unfortunately I think they are just ‘after’ old master paintings. Of course, a few bare a striking resemblance to Anne Boleyn, but I wasn’t able to find anything specific in the short amount of time I had to work on this piece. If anyone else has suggestions, I’d love to hear them.
      (Images of Anne Boleyn can be seen here: http://images.google.com/images?q=anne+boleyn&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Ou7oSvSmH4KIswOmuqTiCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCEQsAQwAw)

Heather

• Nicole October 29, 2009 07.19 am

whew-e, thank you so much for this amazing collection of links, made my morning!

• Christina October 29, 2009 02.37 pm